noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- 1A colourless crystalline compound which is the basis of a number of white or yellow plant pigments.
More example sentences
- A tricyclic aromatic compound; chemical formula: C15H10O2
- Flavonoids are plant derivatives of flavone with various degrees of hydroxylation and glycosidic substitutions.
- The flavone apigenin, found in high concentrations in parsley, provides an effect similar to that of 13C - protecting the body from bad estrogens.
- It has been recently reported the presence in Valeriana of the flavone 6-methylapigenin and the flavanone glycoside hesperidin.
- 1.1 [count noun] Any of the plant pigments of which flavone is the basis.More example sentences
- In the pre-stages, when the base and stalk cells were not fully developed, Naturstoffreagent A gave an orange-yellow fluorescence to flavones.
- The secretory four-celled head showed up in the developing stage, becoming stained fluorescent orange with the Naturstoffreagent A which indicated flavones.
- Honeysuckle flowers contain flavonols, flavones, catechins, isoflavanones, and anthocyanins.
late 19th century: from Latin flavus 'yellow' + -one.
More definitions of flavoneDefinition of flavone in:
- The US English dictionary