Definition of flavone in English:
noun[mass noun] Chemistry
1A colourless crystalline compound which is the basis of a number of white or yellow plant pigments.
- Flavonoids are plant derivatives of flavone with various degrees of hydroxylation and glycosidic substitutions.
- The flavone apigenin, found in high concentrations in parsley, provides an effect similar to that of 13C - protecting the body from bad estrogens.
- It has been recently reported the presence in Valeriana of the flavone 6-methylapigenin and the flavanone glycoside hesperidin.
1.1 [count noun] Any of the plant pigments of which flavone is the basis.
- In the pre-stages, when the base and stalk cells were not fully developed, Naturstoffreagent A gave an orange-yellow fluorescence to flavones.
- The secretory four-celled head showed up in the developing stage, becoming stained fluorescent orange with the Naturstoffreagent A which indicated flavones.
- Honeysuckle flowers contain flavonols, flavones, catechins, isoflavanones, and anthocyanins.
Definition of flavone in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan