noun (plural flummeries)[mass noun]
- 1Meaningless or insincere flattery or conventions: she hated the flummery of public relationsMore example sentences
- No amount of folderol, flummery or flattery makes it easier to swallow.
- All this flummery was, as we all know, meaningless.
- It's a fairly meaningless, if archaic piece of self-indulgent flummery in most parts of Australia.
- 2A sweet dish made with beaten eggs, sugar, and flavourings.More example sentences
- Transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a medium round tip and fill each chocolate teardrop with flummery batter.
early 17th century (denoting a dish made with oatmeal or wheatmeal boiled to a jelly): from Welsh llymru; perhaps related to llymrig 'soft, slippery'.
More definitions of flummeryDefinition of flummery in:
- The US English dictionary