1The visible or invisible radiation produced from certain substances as a result of incident radiation of a shorter wavelength such as X-rays or ultraviolet light.
- The uralolite exhibits faint green fluorescence in shortwave ultraviolet radiation.
- Any fluorescence under ultraviolet light may also provide clues to the identity and status of a gemstone.
- A laboratory technician checked urine for ultraviolet fluorescence indicating the presence of riboflavin.
1.1The property of absorbing light of short wavelength and emitting light of longer wavelength.
- Other mutants displayed green fluorescence or lacked fluorescent properties.
- No particularly strong fluorescence of calcite, especially by comparison with glass, has been noticed.
- One of the main attractions of chlorophyll fluorescence is that it appears to give a measure of photosynthesis.
Mid 19th century: from fluorspar (which fluoresces), on the pattern of opalescence.
Words that rhyme with fluorescenceacquiescence, adolescence, arborescence, coalescence, convalescence, deliquescence, effervescence, essence, evanescence, excrescence, florescence, incandescence, iridescence, juvenescence, luminescence, obsolescence, opalescence, phosphorescence, pubescence, putrescence, quiescence, quintessence
Definition of fluorescence in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.