A poisonous toadstool which has a red cap with fluffy white spots, growing particularly among birch trees. It contains hallucinogenic alkaloids and has long been used by the indigenous peoples of NE Siberia.
- Amanita muscaria, family Amanitaceae, class Hymenomycetes
More example sentences
- The fly agaric or fairy toadstool grows here too, especially under birch along with other woodland fungi.
- We are walking up a woodland path and pause to look at a group of fly agarics; the red-and-white spotted ones popular with fishing gnomes in the gardens of suburbia.
- It is possible that hallucinogens, for example fly agaric, were used to bring on this state of mind.
Definition of fly agaric in:
- The US English dictionary