Pronunciation: /ˈfəʊlɪət , -eɪt/
- Decorated with leaves or leaf-like motifs: foliate scrollsMore example sentences
- The fluted stiles are embellished with carved foliate scrolls.
- The lower tier of the fountain had intertwined dolphin supports and was raised on a finely cast foliate stem.
- Many interpretations of the meaning and origin of the Green Man have been offered since Lady Raglan first applied the term to the human foliate head.
Pronunciation: /ˈfəʊlɪeɪt /[with object] Back to top
- 1Decorate with leaves or leaf-like motifs.More example sentences
- The Santan Mountains study site is also primarily composed of granodiorite, but the boulders are not as extensive or foliated as in the South Mountains.
- The courtyard was foliated with multiple kinds of bushes and trees.
- 2Number the leaves of (a book) rather than the pages.More example sentences
- The book was foliated in pencil below the text in the lower right-hand corner.
- The newly discovered manuscript had in fact been foliated and the figures are omitted from the plates.
mid 17th century: from Latin foliatus 'leaved', from folium 'leaf'.
More definitions of foliateDefinition of foliate in:
- The US English dictionary