noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- A vitamin of the B complex found especially in leafy green vegetables, liver, and kidney. Also called pteroylglutamic acid, vitamin M.More example sentences
- Dietary sources of folic acid include green leafy vegetables, breakfast cereals and bread.
- In people with vitamin B - 12 deficiency, giving folic acid does much more than mask any anaemia.
- When stored in the liver or ingested folic acid exists in a polyglutamate form.
1940s: folic from Latin folium 'leaf' + -ic.
More definitions of folic acidDefinition of folic acid in:
- The US English dictionary