- Objects or materials which are likely to carry infection, such as clothes, utensils, and furniture.More example sentences
- Transmission by virus-contaminated hands or fomites is less likely.
- Moreover, they may contaminate fomites that can transmit the disease to persons who do not have direct contact with the animals.
- Transmission is by person to person and fomites, such as bedding and clothing.
early 19th century: from Latin, plural of fomes, literally 'touchwood, tinder'.
More definitions of fomitesDefinition of fomites in:
- The US English dictionary