Unfriendly or threatening in appearance: a grim and forbidding building
More example sentences
- She found that she could not think straight, for her mind kept returning to the forbidding trees - unfriendly reminders of the peaceful days of her childhood.
- His first impression was the airport, which seemed a very forbidding, communist building.
- He started Baptist church school at the age of eight, in a forbidding Victorian grey brick building.
hostile, unwelcoming, unfriendly, unsympathetic, unapproachable, harsh, grim, stern, hard, tough, cool, cold, chilly, frosty; disagreeable, nasty, mean, abhorrent, repellent
informal off-puttingthreatening, ominous, menacing, sinister, brooding, daunting, fearsome, frightening, chilling, disturbing, disquieting; hostile, unwelcoming, uninviting, unfriendly; foreboding, unpromising, inauspicious, evil-looking, suggestive of evil
archaic direful, bodeful
- More example sentences
- Not that he seems to have much time for books, surfing or other diversions: ‘What is permissible and forbidden is clarified here,’ he declares rather forbiddingly.
- It is played out with unimpeachable integrity and care, but a sudden switchback in the narrative turns everything forbiddingly and even frustratingly dark and means that much of the movie's inner emotional life is amputated.
- Not only too tall, they also cut off other lower Manhattan neighborhoods from one another with their barrier-like raised plaza, forbiddingly deserted at night and on weekends.