1(Of a person or their manner or speech) direct and outspoken: his most forthright attack yet on the reforms
More example sentences
- People respected her honesty and forthright manner, qualities which endeared her to all.
- Simply, interconnected stories told in an honest and forthright manner touch readers in ways that continue to reverberate long after the book is put down.
- As our readers will see, they expressed their opinions in a forthright manner, using a colorful prose not typically found in scientific papers.
frank, direct, straightforward, honest, candid, open, sincere, straight, straight to the point, blunt, plain-spoken, outspoken, downright, uninhibited, unreserved, point blank, no-nonsense, matter-of-fact, bluff, undiplomatic, tactless;
not afraid to call a spade a spade, not beating around the bush, speaking as one finds;
explicit, clear, plain, unequivocal, unambiguous, unqualified, categorical
informal straight from the shoulder, upfront
- At best, he could practice scaring people with a display of lunacy hoping to prevent circumstances arising that burn in immediacy and require forthright and conclusive action.
- Example sentences
- Why is there this reserve in dealing with this issue publicly, directly and forthrightly by the administration?
- They ought to be demanding that the presidential candidates speak out forthrightly on these issues.
- But while I agree that our candidate should forthrightly come out against a constitutional amendment, the big question is how to frame this opposition.
- Example sentences
- Thompson, who impresses with his vigour, drive and forthrightness, should not be hung out to dry for doing what, in all honesty, any new owner would have undertaken.
- In this spirit of forthrightness, I feel I must tell you that, strictly speaking, I'm not supposed to leave the castle without my entourage.
- Again and again in the exhibition, one feels that Conner not only got there first but did so with welcome concision, intensity and forthrightness.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: forth|right
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.