Definition of fortress in English:
1A military stronghold, especially a strongly fortified town.
- World War I saw the evolution of a new fortification setup combining field strongholds with fortresses.
- City walls, towers, churches, and fortresses strongly connect Estonians to the past.
- Most contemporary commanders used their troops in a slow, expensive, attritional warfare based on sieges of selected fortified cities or fortresses.
1.1A person or thing not susceptible to outside influence or disturbance: he had proved himself to be a fortress of moral rectitude
More example sentences
- No nation can erect a fortress against influenza - not even the world's wealthiest country.
- A paranoid fortress mentality has unfortunately gripped the government policy makers in the most underpopulated country on earth.
- But already we pay a price, levied not in blood but in freedom, as a fortress mentality seeps into the national culture.
Words that rhyme with fortresslaundress • jointress
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan