1 Ballet A posture in which the feet are placed turned outwards one in front of the other, separated by the distance of one step.
- He opens the door in tights, a cashmere sweater jauntily tied around his neck, his feet in a very good fourth position.
- He produces explosiveness by establishing a solid foundation from which to work - deep plies; cross-braced, turned-out fourth positions; wound-up bodies that unfurl a vortex of energy.
- Preparations for pirouettes are disguised by making them quicker without sitting in the plié - the back leg is straight in fourth position.
2 Music A position of the left hand on the fingerboard of a stringed instrument nearer to the bridge than the third position, enabling a higher set of notes to be played.
- There are many fewer preparations for second and fourth position than for third and fifth.
- It is the first note to be sharp in the seventh, third, sixth, second, fifth, first and fourth positions.
- Yes she has learnt fourth position but I think what her teacher wants is now to get her used to playing extensions in first positions.
Definition of fourth position in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.