Relating to Franconia or its inhabitants.
- The appeal of Franconian wine was undoubtedly heightened from this period by its being bottled in distinctive round flat flagons, known as Bocksbeutel.
- Perhaps it reminds you of Frankenmuth and the other Franconian settlements in Michigan.
- Even within Germany, the use of Bavarian, Swabian, or even Franconian dialect in lyrics signaled increased regional self-awareness in the face of linguistic homogenization.
1A native or inhabitant of Franconia.
- Germany, with the extraordinarily varied and distinct cultures of the Lander is an example to us all: a Bavarian would hate to be taken for a Prussian, a citizen of Lubeck would not want to be mistaken for a Franconian.
- Konrad Volkert went his own way as a passionate artist who portrayed his beloved Franconian homeland, the region with Nuremberg as its cultural and economic center.
- All of them were written down from Franconians and mirror mostly their point of view which is biased.
2 [mass noun] A group of medieval West Germanic dialects, combining features of Low and High German.
- Old Low Franconian is one of the major Frankish dialects, spoken in the area now called the Netherlands, and is thus sometimes called Old Dutch as well.
2.1The group of modern German dialects of Franconia.
- Being Low Franconian, it belongs to the same language sub-group as do Dutch and Afrikaans, and it is also very closely related to the Limburgish and Ripuarian varieties.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Fran|co¦nian
Definition of Franconian in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.