An aromatic gum resin obtained from an African tree and burnt as incense. Also called olibanum, gum olibanum.
- This resin is obtained from the tree Boswellia sacra, family Burseraceae, native to Somalia
More example sentences
- They valued its trees which produced the aromatic gum resins frankincense and myrrh.
- Jewish ceremonial incense includes frankincense and myrrh, and is frequently mentioned in the Pentateuch, the Jewish Old Testament.
- Her incenses are acacia, frankincense, myrrh, catnip, cedar, cinnamon, and juniper.
late Middle English: from Old French franc encens, literally 'high-quality incense', from franc (see frank1) in an obsolete sense 'superior, of high quality' (which also existed in English) + encens 'incense'.
Definition of frankincense in:
- The US English dictionary