Definition of fraternity in English:
noun (plural fraternities)
1 [treated as singular or plural] A group of people sharing a common profession or interests: members of the hunting fraternity
More example sentences
- There is a fraternity of legal professionals in the US who have set up a veritable minefield.
- In the quarter century since that evening of enlightenment, what Russell, one of the most popular and affable members of the professional fraternity, has done with his life has varied.
- Prior to the senior game going professional, the refereeing fraternity took on board that standards would have to keep pace with the new game and the Rugby Union Referees Panel was formed.
1.1North American A male students' society in a university or college.
- Locally, businesses and Iowa State University fraternities and sororities also contributed.
- Targeted populations include freshmen, sorority and fraternity members, and students who have been caught violating college alcohol policies.
- This incident is particularly distressing to the members of the University administration because all fraternities and sororities participated in a workshop a year ago to address a similar situation at another institution.
1.2A religious or Masonic society or guild.
- At the meeting, there were some who wanted him put on notice that he had violated the protocols of episcopal fraternity by acting as he did.
- It was about differences. [Interruption] I say to the member opposite, who is ranting, that at that time there was difference between the religious fraternity.
- Genuine synthesis was never a feasible proposition given the Muslim religious fraternity's profound horror and disdain of native traditions.
2 [mass noun] Friendship and mutual support within a group: the ideals of liberty, equality, and fraternity
More example sentences
- The Belgian band encapsulated the friendly spirit of fraternity that lies at the heart of folk.
- You do us great honour and your being here shows that it is a bond of friendship, understanding our fraternity.
- Close friendship and fraternity between the gymnasts from the socialist countries prevailed.
Words that rhyme with fraternityconfraternity, eternity, maternity, modernity, paternity, taciturnity
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.