- A person who rejects accepted opinions, especially those concerning religious belief.More example sentences
- The religious freedom that enabled Protestants and Catholics to live in harmony made the Netherlands a haven for freethinkers and religious minorities.
- They were freethinkers and opponents of religious dogma.
- In short, in England and in America, the freedoms we have won were won often by alliance between freethinkers and religious progressives.
- More example sentences
- His parents were religious but freethinking, and he attended the Church of England and the Wesleyan chapel.
- It was the century of religious freethinking, and printing outside Europe.
- Thompson is the freethinking, questioning spirit of a population that once challenged its government instead of championing it.