Definition of freethinker in English:
A person who rejects accepted opinions, especially those concerning religious belief.
- The religious freedom that enabled Protestants and Catholics to live in harmony made the Netherlands a haven for freethinkers and religious minorities.
- They were freethinkers and opponents of religious dogma.
- In short, in England and in America, the freedoms we have won were won often by alliance between freethinkers and religious progressives.
- Example sentences
- His parents were religious but freethinking, and he attended the Church of England and the Wesleyan chapel.
- It was the century of religious freethinking, and printing outside Europe.
- Thompson is the freethinking, questioning spirit of a population that once challenged its government instead of championing it.
Pronunciation: /ˌfriːˈθɪŋkɪŋ/noun& adjective
Words that rhyme with freethinkerblinker, clinker, drinker, finca, Glinka, Inca, inker, jinker, shrinker, sinker, Soyinka, stinker, stotinka, thinker, tinker, Treblinka, winker
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan