(chiefly US also furosemide)
noun[mass noun] Medicine
- A synthetic compound with a strong diuretic action, used especially in the treatment of oedema.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: C12H11ClN2O5S
- Her symptoms improved after treatment with intravenous furosemide and metoprolol.
- Chlorothiazide may be given with furosemide to boost its diuretic effects, depending on the patient's fluid retention status.
- Despite immediate treatment with furosemide and dexamethasone, two full codes, and pacemaker placement, the patient died within four hours postoperatively.
1960s: from fru- (alteration of fur(yl), denoting a radical derived from furan) + sem- (of unknown origin) + -ide.
More definitions of frusemideDefinition of frusemide in:
- The US English dictionary