- 1A filamentous stalk attaching a seed or ovule to the placenta. Also called funiculus.More example sentences
- However, at anthesis they appear one above the other, because in one ovule the funicle greatly elongates.
- When the valves were detached in fully mature pods the main vascular bundles of each replum to which seeds were attached by their funicle could be seen at the base of each suture.
- Each side of the pod bears a placenta divided into two placental longitudinal laminae bearing funicles to which are attached seeds.
mid 17th century: anglicized form of Latin funiculus (see funiculus).
More definitions of funicleDefinition of funicle in:
- The US English dictionary