adjectiveBotany & Zoology
- Tapering at both ends; spindle-shaped: a fusiform elongated bodyMore example sentences
- The bodies of catsharks are fusiform (cylindrical, tapering at the ends) to slightly depressed.
- Labellar papillae show greater diversity, and may be conical, obpyriform, villiform, fusiform or clavate.
- The most conspicuous features of these elongate fusiform actinopterygians consist of one or two rows of anamestic supraorbital bones, a mosaic of suborbitals, and the presence of two rows of extrascapulars in one species.
mid 18th century: from Latin fusus 'spindle' + -iform.
More definitions of fusiformDefinition of fusiform in:
- The US English dictionary