Incapable of producing any useful result; pointless: a futile attempt to keep fans from mounting the stage it is futile to allocate blame for this
More example sentences
- Although residents put up pockets of resistance, their attempts were largely futile.
- You shift from one leg to the other, but know that that is a fairly futile attempt to relieve your discomfort.
- They do not show an act of suicide but an attempt, however futile, to escape death.
fruitless, vain, pointless; useless, worthless, ineffectual, ineffective, inefficacious, to no effect, of no use, in vain, to no avail, unavailing; unsuccessful, failed, thwarted; unproductive, barren, unprofitable, abortive; impotent, hollow, empty, forlorn, idle, sterile, nugatory, valueless; hopeless, doomed, lost
Australian/New Zealand informal no good to gundy
mid 16th century: from Latin futilis 'leaky, futile', apparently from fundere 'pour'.
- More example sentences
- Most days at least one gets itself stuck in the house, usually trying valiantly but ultimately futilely to fly through one of our closed windows.
- And I did spend a lot of time futilely trying to talk to the FBI press office about the flight.
- With each retelling, the story of the men who died gloriously but futilely just a few miles from help has seemed increasingly ridiculous.