Definition of futile in English:
Incapable of producing any useful result; pointless: a futile attempt to keep fans from mounting the stage it is futile to allocate blame for this
More example sentences
- Although residents put up pockets of resistance, their attempts were largely futile.
- You shift from one leg to the other, but know that that is a fairly futile attempt to relieve your discomfort.
- They do not show an act of suicide but an attempt, however futile, to escape death.
useless, worthless, ineffectual, ineffective, inefficacious, to no effect, of no use, in vain, to no avail, unavailing;
hopeless, doomed, lost
Australian/New Zealand informal no good to gundy
Mid 16th century: from Latin futilis 'leaky, futile', apparently from fundere 'pour'.
- Example sentences
- Most days at least one gets itself stuck in the house, usually trying valiantly but ultimately futilely to fly through one of our closed windows.
- And I did spend a lot of time futilely trying to talk to the FBI press office about the flight.
- With each retelling, the story of the men who died gloriously but futilely just a few miles from help has seemed increasingly ridiculous.
Words that rhyme with futilebutyl, rutile, utile
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan