Definition of gaiter in English:
1A protective covering of cloth or leather for the ankle and lower leg: gaiters to keep snow out of your boots
More example sentences
- The tails of his black cloth coat were pinned up behind to keep them from rubbing; he had on a pair of moleskin trousers and leather gaiters, and in his hand he carried a little whip of rhinoceros hide.
- Anyone planning to go on this walk should think seriously about wearing long trousers or protective gaiters because the hillsides in this part of Mount Mee State Forest have a waist-high covering of a spiky shrub called bitter pea.
- The men wear an oddly Victorian combination of stylized frock coats and gaiters, seemingly Gaultier-influenced.
1.2A flexible covering for the base of a gear lever or other mechanical part: the yellow gaiter around the gearstick ripped slightly
More example sentences
- Leather is also used to trim the three-spoke sports steering wheel, the gear lever knob and gaiter and the handbrake handle.
- With the Visual Leather Pack the upgraded interior benefits from fascia inserts, and a leather-covered steering wheel, gear lever gaiter, handbrake cover and gaiter.
- The C700 units are suitable for mounting into panels up to 3mm thick and are supplied with a flexible PVC gaiter and bezel as standard, providing sealing around the knob and spindle to IP65.
- Example sentences
- Trousers and gaitered trousers are the preferred uniform item for the British Army late war impression.
- They wear dark blue coats with red facings and lining, and white small clothes with gaitered trousers.
- I was all gaitered up but a lot of the day was spend jumping from log to grass tussock and back to log.
Words that rhyme with gaitercater, crater, creator, curator, data, debater, delator, dumbwaiter, equator, fascinator, freighter, frustrater, grater, gyrator, hater, later, legator, mater, negator, pater, peseta, plater, rotator, skater, slater, stater, tater, traitor, ultimata, understater, upstater, waiter
Definition of gaiter in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan