- 1A social occasion with special entertainments or performances: [as modifier]: a gala performance by the Royal BalletMore example sentences
fete, gala day, fair, feast, festival, carnival, pageant, jubilee, jamboree, party, garden party, celebration; festivities; fundraiser, charity event, charity show; Dutch & North American kermisfestive, celebratory, merry, joyous, joyful; diverting, entertaining, enjoyable, spectacular, showy• dated gay
- A young virtuoso pianist from Sligo was the star of a gala concert performance held in Dublin on December 11.
- The Great Northern Brass Arts Festival, which is in its fifth year, began with a five-hour concert, followed by an evening gala performance in front of a capacity audience.
- The pressure was on a year in advance to come up with stellar costuming worthy of the star-studded gala performance at Wortham Theater Center.
- 1.1British A special sports meeting, especially a swimming competition: we met at a swimming galaMore example sentences
- About six awards are expected to be dished out to deserving swimmers during the ceremony, to be preceded with the first league gala at the Olympic Swimming Pool.
- My wife tells me that she won a swimming gala at the baths.
- About 500 swimmers from all over South Africa have gathered for one of the biggest galas on the swimming calendar, the Telkom National Aquatic Championships.
early 17th century (in the sense 'showy dress'): via Italian and Spanish from Old French gale 'rejoicing'.