noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- A sugar of the hexose class which is a constituent of lactose and many polysaccharides.More example sentences
- Its molecule is split in fermentation or digestion to yield the simple monosaccharide sugars dextrose and galactose.
- The sugars glucose, galactose, and fructose all have six carbon atoms, twelve hydrogen atoms, and six oxygen atoms.
- The enzyme lactase breaks down the lactose to galactose and glucose.
mid 19th century: from Greek gala, galaktos 'milk' + -ose2.
More definitions of galactoseDefinition of galactose in:
- The US English dictionary