Relating to Galileo or his methods.
- We have considered the Moon and planets crossing the Sun or the stars, Jupiter eclipsing the Galilean satellites, and measuring the sizes of asteroids and comets.
- The Moon is not as large as any planet other than distant little Pluto but is of the same scale as the Galilean satellites of Jupiter.
- Galileo is credited with the discovery of Jupiter's four largest moons: Io, Europa, Ganymede, and Callisto, now called the Galilean satellites in his honor.
Words that rhyme with GalileanActaeon, Aegean, aeon (US eon), Augean, Behan, Cadmean, Caribbean, Carolean, Chaldean, Cyclopean, empyrean, epicurean, European, Fijian, Hasmonean, Hebridean, Herculean, Ian, Jacobean, Kampuchean, Laodicean, lien, Linnaean (US Linnean), Maccabean, Mandaean (US Mandean), Medicean, monogenean, Nabataean (US Nabatean), Orphean, paean, paeon, pean, peon, Periclean, piscean, plebeian, Pyrenean, Pythagorean, Sabaean, Sadducean, Sisyphean, skean, Tanzanian, Tennesseean, Terpsichorean, theodicean, Tyrolean
1Relating to Galilee.
- His initial attempts to modernise the undergraduate syllabus were temporarily stalled on the argument that ‘if Galilean fishermen could cope with lots of New Testament Greek, how much more could Oxford undergraduates’.
- Therefore, the narrative section of Book II (Matthew chapters 8 and 9) assembles ten miracle stories from Jesus' Galilean ministry.
- Even if one accepts his possibly overstated emphasis on the New Testament as a creation of the Jewish diaspora and not of Palestinian and Galilean Jews, problems remain when their work is presented as so brilliantly contrived.
nounBack to top
1A native or inhabitant of Galilee.
- It is unrealistic to expect all our answers to come from a long dead Englishman, let alone a pale Galilean.
- You are Jesus of Nazareth, living in the time when Pontius Pilate slaughtered innocent Galileans and mingled their blood with their sacrifices.
- God's ordained powers, she kept their godless wrath from falling on that trembling youth; her eyes fixed on the Savior, who on her behalf stood interceding, she fulfilled the call of those who walk the Galilean's path unfazed.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.