noun (plural same)
- A deep-bodied marine fish with a spiny dorsal fin, occurring in shallow waters around South Africa. Also called blackfish.
More example sentences
- Coracinus capensis, family Coracinidae
- Fish species such as galjoen, white steenbras and spotted grunter that feed within the intertidal zone cannot survive where the beach has been denuded.
- The diet of the galjoen consists mainly of red bait, small mussels and barnacles.
- The galjoen, coracinus capensis, is a species of marine fish that is found only along the coast of South Africa.
mid 19th century: from Afrikaans and Dutch, literally 'galleon'.