A small winged insect of ant-like appearance. The female lays its egg in the food plant and when the larva hatches the surrounding plant tissue swells up around it to form a gall.
- Superfamily Cynipoidea, order Hymenoptera: several genera
More example sentences
- He immerses himself in the study of the gall wasp, whose North American varieties were almost completely unresearched.
- His specialty was the physiology of the gall wasp.
- He attended Harvard and received a Doctor of Science degree in taxonomy, and he devoted no less than 20 years of his life to researching the gall wasp.
More definitions of gall waspDefinition of gall wasp in:
- The US English dictionary