Definition of gaper in English:
1A burrowing bivalve mollusc, the shell valves of which have an opening at one or both ends.
- Genus Mya, family Myidae
- Areas exhibiting mixed sand and mud constitute a relatively stable substrate in which typical sand-living animals, such as sand gapers, lugworms, and razor shells, dwell.
- Well-known bivalves to which the name gaper could be applied are the razor clam, and the soft-shelled clam; but the latter is something of an exception in that it can survive for some time without water (indeed without oxygen).
- And the prized geoduck - the largest burrowing clam in the world - is occasionally found among the gaper clams in Tomales Bay.
3A deep-sea anglerfish that is able to inflate itself with water.
- Family Chaunacidae and genus Chaunax
- The amazing diversity of creatures must be seen to be believed; periwinkles, top-shells, starfish and lump suckers, the self-concealing flatfish, the gaper and razor fish and the commuting and breeding seabirds.
4A person who stares in amazement or wonder: her sort of success inevitably attracted gapers
More example sentences
- They all try to out beat the other with the best impression of a gaper.
- In the shade of a sycamore grove, bikers sat cross-legged on idled Harleys, heckling the gapers and high-fiving each other.
Definition of gaper in:
- US English dictionary