- A wild ox having a large head, a dark brown or black coat with white stockings, and a hump, native to India and Malaysia. Also called Indian bison, seladang.
More example sentences
- Bos gaurus, family Bovidae; it is the ancestor of the domestic gayal
- We understand today that in the Indochinese countries, Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia, there are three species of wild cattle: the gaur, the banteng and the nearly extinct Kouprey.
- The nearby sanctuary is home to the barking, the spotted and the mouse deer, the gaur, the civet cat, the tiger and the elephant, besides a variety of birds and reptiles.
- A visitor had fallen into an enclosure and risked being gored to death by a herd of wild gaurs, also known as Indian bison.
early 19th century: from Sanskrit gaura; related to cow1.
More definitions of gaurDefinition of gaur in:
- The US English dictionary