Definition of gawp in English:
verb[no object] British informal
Stare openly in a stupid or rude manner: what are you gawping at?
More example sentences
- Those who weren't gawping at me were staring at the floor.
- When I sit down, I am surrounded by dozens of people, staring and gawping.
- He would sit in the centre of the grass, gaping and gawping, while the parent birds rushed back and forth to find nourishing grubs and suitable insects to stuff down his throat.
late 17th century: perhaps an alteration of gape.
- Example sentences
- And when you come up, 474 pages later, it is still with you, this ‘cloud of witnesses’, among the rescuers and family members, the gawpers.
- Most of the gawpers seem to be local men with bad dental work.
- Meanwhile, giving up trying again to clear the Vicar Lane pavement of gawpers, they lowered all the blinds.
Definition of gawp in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan