Definition of geminal in English:
Denoting substituent atoms or groups, especially protons, attached to the same atom in a molecule.
- Compounds in which two hydroxyl groups are attached to the same carbon atom (geminal diols) normally cannot be isolated.
- The fellow doing it was down the hall from me in graduate school, and he was doing an obscure reaction which forms a geminal dinitrile, which themselves are rather obscure compounds.
- Particularly in the pathological examination, we discovered that it could activate and proliferate cells in lymph follicles, geminal centre, paracortical zone and medullary cord of lymph nodes.
- Example sentences
- However, fluoro-amino acid derivatives have rarely been synthesized because of the inherent instability of the geminally halogenated amine moiety.
- Although the anomeric effect was originally identified in pyranoid rings, its relevance to conformational analysis of geminally hetero-atom substituted carbon chains was immediately obvious.
- One of these involves the properties of amides that are geminally substituted at nitrogen with two heteroatoms, so-called ‘Anomeric Amides’.
Definition of geminal in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia