- (Of a plant or animal) reproducing by gemmation.More example sentences
- The tests show that the primycin salts exhibit an outstanding activity on gram positive bacteria while the effect on gram negative bacteria and gemmiparous fungi is lower.
- I am as unwilling to believe in gemmiparous insects as in hermaphrodite insects.
- As for asexual reproduction, the authors discuss why vegetative reproduction works so well for so many aquatic plants: rhizomatous growth (clonal growth), as well as reproduction through fragmentation and the production of corms, stolons, tubers, turions and gemmiparous plantlets.
late 18th century: from modern Latin gemmiparus, from Latin gemma 'bud, jewel' + parere 'produce, give birth to'.
More definitions of gemmiparousDefinition of gemmiparous in:
- The US English dictionary