Definition of gemmule in English:
A tough-coated dormant cluster of embryonic cells produced by a freshwater sponge for development in more favourable conditions.
- Development consisted of the orderly assembly and expression of the gemmules transmitted via the parental germ cells to the progeny.
- Some species also form internal buds, called gemmules, which can survive extremely unfavorable conditions that cause the rest of the sponge to die.
- These gemmules circulate throughout the body, and each sex cell eventually accumulates a full set.
- Example sentences
- In cold regions, gemmulation occurs in winter, and the inactive gemmules are said to hibernate; in warm regions, gemmulation occurs in summer, and the gemmules are said to estivate.
- In his description of the new species, he reported that the fungus appeared in the tissues as spherical to ovoid cells, measuring 3 to 30 µm in diameter, with multiple buds or simple gemmulation.
Definition of gemmule in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan