- A large antelope that has a grey coat, distinctive black-and-white head markings, and long straight horns, native to SW and East Africa.
More example sentences
- Oryx gazella, family Bovidae. See also beisa
- You will also see gemsbok, springbok, eland, blue wildebeest, cheetahs, wild dogs, jackals, bat-eared foxes and leopards.
- It has taken everything from Colorado mule deer to zebra, impala, gemsbok and waterbuck in Africa.
- Some other interesting wildlife here includes giraffe, leopard, cheetah, jackal, blue wildebeest, gemsbok and black rhino.
late 18th century: via Afrikaans from Dutch, literally 'chamois', from gems 'chamois' + bok 'buck'.
More definitions of gemsbokDefinition of gemsbok in:
- The US English dictionary