Definition of genip in English:
1The edible fruit of a tropical American tree.
- Some that may be new to you and worth trying are genip, soursop, sugar apple, figs, tamarind and sea grapes.
- A man holds up a bunch of genips, oval green fruits with skin like a clementine orange and flesh like a grape.
- As we munched on genips and slapped mosquitoes, we were entertained by numerous and colorful birds, which would make a bird-watcher cringe with envy.
2 (also genipap tree) Either of two tropical American trees which yield genips:
- ● (also guinep) A large spreading tree (Melicoccus bijugatus, family Sapindaceae). ● another term for genipapo
- Some seeds germinate; and if they are left alone, they will grow into a guinep tree that eventually bears fruit.
- The Turks & Caicos National Museum was originally called Guinep House after the large genipap tree in the front yard.
- Almost a hundred years later, the ingazeiros, the genipap trees and the trees of noble wood seen during the expeditions of the geographical commission have disappeared.
Mid 18th century: from American Spanish quenepo 'guinep tree', quenepa, denoting the fruit.
Definition of genip in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan