(also genipap ˈdʒɛnɪpap)
Definition of genipapo in English:
noun (plural genipapos)
1A tropical American tree whose fruit has a jelly-like pulp which is used for flavouring drinks and to make a black dye. Also called genip.
- Genipa americana, family Rubiaceae
- The heavy leaf fall of the genipap is important in improving the soil of the plantation.
- The Kayapo wear intricate beadwork and headdresses in ceremonies and decorate their bodies with dye coming from the plants genipapo and urucu.
- The hillsides are intensely covered by molle pepper trees, ferns and genipaps that make a deep contrast with the grey and pink coloured rocks.
1.1 [mass noun] A drink, flavouring, or dye made from the fruit of the genipapo.
- They are famous for tattooing around their mouths with genipapo, a black dye made from an Amazonian fruit.
- They also collect large quantities of genipapo for body painting, vines for fishing, and a great variety of medicinal plants.
- They have their bodies painted with annatto dye and genipap.
Definition of genipapo in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.