Definition of genitive in English:
Relating to or denoting a case of nouns and pronouns (and words in grammatical agreement with them) indicating possession or close association.
- Since every regular noun has a genitive form, every trademark that has the form of a singular noun has a genitive form too.
- Meanwhile the Malays and Chinese had managed to build impressive civilisations without so much as a past tense, let alone a subjunctive, or genitive plural.
- Write in columns the nominative singular, genitive plural, gender, and meaning of: - operibus, principe, imperatori, genere, apro, nivem, vires, frondi, muri.
nounBack to top
1A word in the genitive case.
- In phrases, adjectives and genitives generally precede nouns: micel fld ‘a great flood;’ Westseaxna cyning ‘king of the West Saxons.’
- Attributive genitives are linked to the nouns they qualify by a system of connective particles.
1.1 (the genitive) The genitive case.
- Why do some verbs take the genitive, not the accusative?
- The genitive also expresses possession: ‘whose house is this?’
- As students of the language may recall, German has four cases - nominative, genitive, dative, and accusative - which see words change in order to explain their relationship to each other.
- Example sentences
- The genitival relationship between two nouns is marked by an initial raised H tone on the second noun.
- ‘Each’ and ‘some’ are always the first noun in the genitival phrase.
- As a Semitic construct, the genitival expression ‘son of X’ in the Bible can grammatically denote the member of the group or class.
- Example sentences
- In Finwe Míriello ‘of Finwe and Míriel’ only the last name is declined, although both genitivally modify Namna ‘Statute’.
- He believes that the bit of unreferenced linguistic code ‘being’ is something that can be talked about genitivally as if it belongs in some way to the entity.
Definition of genitive in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.