Definition of geodesic in English:
1Relating to or denoting the shortest possible line between two points on a sphere or other curved surface.
- A formula for the line integral of the geodesic curvature along a closed curve is known as the Gauss Bonnet theorem.
- He introduced the geodesic curvature although he did not use the term which was due to Bonnet who discovered it independently in 1848.
- He solved a problem posed by Beltrami of representing one surface on a second surface in such a way that geodesic lines in the first correspond to geodesic lines in the second.
1.1(Of a dome or other structure) constructed from struts which follow geodesic lines and typically form an open framework of triangles and polygons.
- Epcot opened in 1982 at Walt Disney World in Florida with the ‘Spaceship Earth’ attraction in the first completely spherical geodesic structure.
- The tumultuous morass of geodesic structures is cobbled together from aluminum poles, plastic bags, bed sheets, and rope.
- Like a geodesic structure, an increase in the number of nodes should lead to increased stability and strength of the whole system.
nounBack to top
A geodesic line or structure.
- It possesses shortest lines, now called geodesics, which resemble ordinary straight lines.
- This reminded me of an interesting property of geodesics in general relativity.
- When this happens, the necessary conditions for the existence and uniqueness of these geodesics are violated.
Definition of geodesic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan