Definition of geography in English:
1The study of the physical features of the earth and its atmosphere, and of human activity as it affects and is affected by these, including the distribution of populations and resources and political and economic activities.
- For a work of economic geography, there are few maps, and none of them is very detailed.
- He studied languages and geography, developing a keen interest in other cultures.
- A degree in geography won't affect your enjoyment of this film, but knowledge is its own reward.
1.1 [usually in singular] The nature and relative arrangement of places and physical features: the geography of post-war London
More example sentences
- Years later, when my father began to misplace his memory, he would knit together the geographies of the various cities in which he had lived.
- The hollowing-out of the welfare state and the realignment of the various geographies of power, then, have to be seen as complex, and sometimes contradictory, processes.
- Although this framework provides a powerful approach to understanding the historical geographies of places, such as Newcastle and Ladysmith, it is also ambitious.
1.2 [count noun] (plural geographies) (Especially in business) a geographical area; a region.
- I think what I said in my remarks is really all geographies were strong.
- In fact, several companies are in the process of setting up on-site delivery centres in different geographies.
- In the conclusion, we return to the theme of multiple geographies.
Words that rhyme with geographyautobiography, bibliography, biography, cardiography, cartography, chirography, choreography, chromatography, cinematography, cosmography, cryptography, demography, discography, filmography, hagiography, historiography, hydrography, iconography, lexicography, lithography, oceanography, orthography, palaeography (US paleography), photography, radiography, reprography, stenography, topography, typography
Definition of geography in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan