noun (plural geometries)[mass noun]
1The branch of mathematics concerned with the properties and relations of points, lines, surfaces, solids, and higher dimensional analogues.
- By spherical geometry, we mean geometry on the surface of a sphere, where the great circles are taken as lines.
- As analysis began to mix inextricably with geometry and the other branches of mathematics, the curiosities multiplied.
- A notable feature of advanced mathematics is that much of it is concerned with geometry in more than three dimensions.
1.1 [count noun] A particular system of geometry: non-Euclidean geometries
More example sentences
- He also realised that there were an infinite number of non-euclidean geometries and this, Taurinus claimed, was highly significant.
- The trend toward trophic specialization is also correlated with stereotyped geometries in the locomotor system.
- The same issues apply more generally to other photonic crystal systems in non-fiber geometries.
1.2 [in singular] The shape and relative arrangement of the parts of something: the geometry of spiders' webs
More example sentences
- Perhaps this intimate knowledge of the geometry of letterforms is why even today so many architects are partial to Futura.
- Modern artists long ago discovered and assimilated the geometry, line and shapes of African sculpture.
- At the same time, anatomical data that include the torso geometry and the shape and location of the heart are obtained via a CT scan.
- Example sentences
- After some compliments to the university, he proceeded to the original and progress of geometry, and gave an account of the most celebrated of the ancient and modern geometricians.
- The great geometrician Euclid, before demonstrating to us the various propositions contained in his Elements of Geometry, requires that we should be able to effect certain processes.
- A learned and ingenious geometrician, he investigated and illustrated the laws of compound circular motion.
Words that rhyme with geometrycraniometry, micrometry, optometry, psychometry, pyrometry, sociometry, trigonometry
Definition of geometry in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.