noun (plural gessoes)[mass noun]
- A hard compound of plaster of Paris or whiting in glue, used in sculpture or as a base for gilding or painting on wood: the surface must first be given several coats of gesso [as modifier]: gesso panelsMore example sentences
- By the fifteenth century, many Western artists were using it in frescoes or in gesso on wood panel paintings.
- Emulating the old masters, he used tempera and oil over gesso on wood, then covered the surface with transparent glaze.
- Executed in egg tempera and gesso on panel rather than the acrylics and oils for which the artist is best known, these new paintings exhibit a sensual luminosity not previously seen in his work.
late 16th century: Italian, from Latin gypsum (see gypsum).
More definitions of gessoDefinition of gesso in:
- The US English dictionary