- 1 (also get someone up) Rise or cause to rise from bed after sleeping.More example sentences
- Nothing else in the world would have got us up before 8 am on a Saturday morning but this.
- We got him up, don't remember what time, but we had him go to a friend's house.
- So I got her up, changed her nappy, and put her down to play with toys.
- 2(Of wind or the sea) become strong or agitated.More example sentences
- Just before he played, the wind got up and blew a plastic bag into the sand.
- The power went off on Tuesday afternoon just as the wind was getting up.
- It's cold, a storm is brewing, the wind is getting up and there's no gold in this here pan.
More definitions of get upDefinition of get up in:
- The US English dictionary