1Any of a number of bats with mainly white or grey fur, in particular:
- Using echolocation, ghost bats hunt for large insects, lizards, frogs, birds and even other bats.
- The average head and body measurement of a ghost bat is 100 mm, each forearm also measures an average of 100 mm.
- Northern ghost bats like to stay in humid habitats such as tropical and riparian rainforests.
1.1 see white bat.
- More than half - 78 species - were bats, including ghost bats, fishing bats, giant false vampire bats, mammal- and bird-feeding vampire bats, nectar-feeding bats, fruit bats, sucker-winged bats, and free-tailed bats.
- Adult and juvenile ghost bats forage independently, coming and going from their roosts as they please.
- Some of these bats such as the ghost bats, capture their meals while flying high in the open air.
1.2Australian another term for false vampire.
- The study looked at the social and reproductive behaviour of the ghost bats, as well as their hunting and feeding behaviour.
- One can therefore argue safely that visual specialisations that were found to be absent from ghost bats are unlikely to turn up in Amorphochilus, Furipterus or some other rare, non-visual microbat.
- It has to be a pretty small carnivore and there have to be many of them since the floor is thickly covered with droppings, so ghost bats would have made sense.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: ghost bat
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.