- Any of a group of plant hormones that stimulate stem elongation, germination, and flowering.More example sentences
- Possible analogies with other cold-requiring processes such as vernalization and stratification, and the interaction of auxin and gibberellin in the stalk elongation process in other plant species are discussed.
- Another family of plant hormones, the gibberellins, regulate stem elongation and have some similar effects to auxin.
- Previous research showed that a growth regulating plant hormone called gibberellin could increase yam dormancy time for food storage purposes.
1930s: from modern Latin Gibberella (from Gibberella fujikuroi, the fungus from which one of the gibberellins was first extracted), diminutive of the genus name Gibbera, from Latin gibber 'hump', + -in1.
More definitions of gibberellinDefinition of gibberellin in:
- The US English dictionary