Definition of gigantism in English:
1chiefly Biology Unusual or abnormal largeness.
- The dodo of Mauritius (a giant pigeon) is a famous example of island gigantism.
- Such gigantism usually leads to some form of extinction.
- In 1992 I visited the island of Komodo - home of the Komodo dragon - to study gigantism among reptiles.
1.1 Medicine Excessive growth due to hormonal imbalance.
- He published 400 papers, many of major importance, on subjects as diverse as acromegaly, Cushing's syndrome, gigantism, the effects of prolonged fasting, diabetes, and the hormone aldosterone.
- A minority of patients have gigantism / acromegaly with elevated levels of prolactin and growth hormone.
- Interest in dwarfism, gigantism, and acromegaly has spanned the centuries; literature, especially for children, is filled with stories about dwarfs and giants, while Old Testament writings have several descriptions of giants.
Definition of gigantism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan