- Showy but cheap or badly made.More example sentences
shoddy, jerry-built, badly built, flimsy, insubstantial, rickety, ramshackle, thrown together, makeshift, inferior, poor-quality, second-rate, third-rate, low-grade, cheap, cheapjack, tawdry, rubbishy, kitschy, trashy, crude, tinny
- And both, more sadly, suffered from slightly gimcrack build quality.
- Most traditional buildings have vanished, to be replaced by gimcrack shoddiness in white tile and blue glass.
nounBack to top
- A cheap and showy ornament; a knick-knack.More example sentences
- There's nothing you can do to change the little ones' minds about the gewgaws and gimcracks they expect to find beneath the tree - or to stop your in-laws' annual onslaught, for that matter.
- He was driving some sissy little Japanese car with odd little tires and wheels and a bunch of ugly gewgaws and gimcracks bolted on.
- As soon as they arrive, Amelia excitedly shows Rebecca ‘over every room of the house, and everything in every one of her drawers; and her books, and her piano, and her dresses, and all her necklaces, brooches, laces, and gimcracks '.
Middle English gibecrake, of unknown origin. Originally a noun, the term denoted some kind of inlaid work in wood, later a fanciful notion or mechanical contrivance, hence a knick-knack.