Definition of gimlet in English:
1A small T-shaped tool with a screw tip for boring holes.
- The three small lead weights, a long chalk line reel, and two ash handles thought to be gimlets (small boring tools) are the only objects associated with carpentry that were found in the chest.
- After insertion to the shoulder, the gimlet would be unscrewed a few turns to allow the liquid to flow out, then screwed back into the barrel to stop the flow.
- At a later date, a special steel gimlet was sometimes provided to penetrate the more modern tin cap in situ.
2A cocktail of gin (or sometimes vodka) and lime juice.
- We sat at the bar, and the guy behind it knew April by name, and gave her the usual, a vodka gimlet.
- The lawyer always drank three vodka gimlets on the way to Chicago and three scotch and sodas returning to New York.
- I would especially recommend the mojito and the vodka gimlet - delicious!
Definition of gimlet in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.