(also plural gingivae /dʒɪnˈdʒʌɪviː/)
noun[treated as singular or plural] Medicine
- The gums: brushing should focus on the junction between the gingiva and teethMore example sentences
- Chronic periodontitis (inflammation of the gingiva and periodontal membrane) may be a sequel of chronic gingivitis, usually because of accumulation of plaque and calculus.
- The patient complained of right maxillary pain; there were no significant dental abnormalities, but a small lesion on the right upper gingiva was seen, and a biopsy was performed.
- Lesions of the oral mucosa may be seen on the gingiva, buccal mucosa, palate, tongue, and lips.
late 17th century: Latin.
More definitions of gingivaDefinition of gingiva in:
- The US English dictionary