noun (plural same or giraffes)
- Giraffa camelopardalis, family Giraffidae
- It's been observed in many other bird species besides parrots and macaws, as well as elephants, macaques, giraffes, rhinos and chimpanzees.
- The first deer and giraffes also appear, along with the first hyenas.
- The roads and pathways are lined with sculpted, totem-like lamp-posts in the shape of equine beasts, including giraffes, horses or deer.
late 16th century: from French girafe, Italian giraffa, or Spanish and Portuguese girafa, based on Arabic zarāfa. The animal was known in Europe in the medieval period, and isolated instances of names for it based on the Arabic are recorded in Middle English, when it was commonly called the camelopard.
Definition of giraffe in:
- The US English dictionary