- A period in the earth’s history when polar and mountain ice sheets were unusually extensive across the earth’s surface.More example sentences
- Among them, that atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide were high during each warm period, that more dust was in the air during glacial periods, and that ice ages occur very quickly.
- Periods of loess deposition are found to correlate with glacial periods when loess profiles are compared to palaeoclimatic evidence from deep-sea cores.
- Actually there is not one Ice Age but a whole series of glacial periods (principally in the Northern Hemisphere) interspersed by warm, even tropical, interglacials.
More definitions of glacial periodDefinition of glacial period in:
- The US English dictionary