Definition of glancing in English:
Striking someone or something at an angle rather than directly and with full force: he was struck a glancing blow
More example sentences
- She fires four more shots: two direct hits, two glancing blows.
- I saw him take a step back, angling his body so the next left would be a glancing blow, and not effect him as much, and it would bring my body close to his as I over extended my arm.
- The student tried to avoid the drunken man but suffered a glancing blow: ‘I was uninjured but a little shaken by the experience.’
- Example sentences
- Drugs, only glancingly alluded to in print, are here so prevalent that everyone is up to their hips in ‘naughty salt’.
- The Germans, not long arrived in the town, permitted the action, but they neither participated nor interfered, and it appears only glancingly in their records.
- I'm ill-equipped to argue the point, but I will glancingly address it by saying that I feel that there is value in capitalism as well as democracy.
Definition of glancing in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan