noun[mass noun] North American
- Smooth, glassy ice.More example sentences
- There are enormous differences in surface to contend with, from deep soft snow to glare ice.
- Fresh snow often merely masks glare ice and presents what appears to be a navigable surface when, in fact, you'd be better off on skis.
- Let a locked wheel slide off glare ice onto dry pavement, and you may be sideways faster than you can think about it.
mid 19th century: probably from obsolete glare 'frost'; perhaps related to glare.
More definitions of glare iceDefinition of glare ice in:
- The US English dictionary